Organ Transplant Centre
The Centre provides multi-disciplinary tertiary care for patients with organ failure and surgical treatment for conditions that affect the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and duodenum.
- The Centre has the largest Renal Transplant Program in the region and ranks as second in the volume of living donor kidney transplants out of 235 transplant centers in the USA reporting to Organ Procurement (OPTN) and Transplantation Network and the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR). It is the only program in the region that is heavily involved in desensitization of Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) and blood group A, B and O (ABO) incompatible kidney transplantation.
- The renal transplant fellowship program is accredited by the American Society of Transplantation (AST). This is the only transplant center outside North America that is accredited by the AST until 2014.
- The organ Transplant Centre:
- Is the only center in the region performing minimally invasive living donor nephrectomy and minimally invasive living donor hepatectomy.
- The Centre has one of the largest pediatric liver transplant programs worldwide, performing ABO incompatible pediatric liver transplantation and the Fully Laparoscopic Living Donor Hepatectomy to be transplanted in pediatric recipients.
- Liver transplant program ranked 1st in the volume of living donor liver transplant out of 137 liver transplant centers in the USA and in the volume of pediatric liver transplant out of 54 Pediatric liver transplant centers in the USA reporting to Organ Procurement (OPTN) and Transplantation Network and the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR).
- The lung transplant program is the only comprehensive program in the region that performs lung transplant and manages patients with various end stage lung diseases.
- The pancreas Transplant Program was fully activated in 2014.
- For the year 2014, the total number of transplants performed by the Organ Transplant Centre was 310 (175 kidney transplants, 123 liver transplants, 10 lung transplants and 2 pancreas transplants) with excellent outcomes comparable with world leading institutions in the USA.