The Department of Comparative Medicine (CMD) plays instrumental role in supporting ongoing research and training at the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center by providing quality animal models and veterinary medical care. The CMD offers arrays of advanced technical and research expertise in animal modelling to elucidate animal and human diseases mechanism. The multinational CMD staff is constituted of veterinarians, scientists, nurses and technicians.
- Establishment of Organ Transplant Research Section
- Establishment of Laboratory Animal Facilities Environmental Screening procedure
- Development of Brain Stroke Animal Model
- Establishment of Laparoscopy Training Center
- Provision of Comparative Clinical Pathology laboratory
- Provision of Immunohistochemistry Service
- Establishment of Genotyping core facility to maintain genetically engineered animal models
- Initiating POC Genetically Modified Animal production and Cryopreservation Services
- Comparative Functional Genomics
- Comparative Pathology and Diagnostic Laboratory
- Experimental Surgery and Diagnostic Imaging
- Laboratory Animal Services
- Organ Transplant Research
List of Publications for Year 2015
- IL-12 immunotherapy of BrafV600E-induced papillary thyroid cancer in a mouse model. Parhar RS, Zou M, Al-Mohanna FA, Baitei EY, Assiri AM, Meyer BF, Shi Y. Lab Invest. 2015 Oct 26. doi: 10.1038/labinvest.2015.126. [Epub ahead of print]
- TSH overcomes BrafV600E-induced senescence to promote tumor progression via downregulation of p53 expression in papillary thyroid cancer. Zou M1, Baitei EY1, Al-Rijjal RA, Parhar RS, Al-Mohanna FA, Kimura S, Pritchard C, Binessa HA, Alzahrani AS, Al-Khalaf HH, Hawwari A, Akhtar M, Assiri AM, Meyer BF, Shi Y. Oncogene. 2015 Oct 19. doi: 10.1038/onc.2015.253. [Epub ahead of print]
- KRASG12D-mediated oncogenic transformation of thyroid follicular cells requires long-term TSH stimulation and is regulated by SPRY1. Zou M1, Baitei EY1, Al-Rijjal RA, Parhar RS, Al-Mohanna FA, Kimura S, Pritchard C, BinEssa H, Alanazi AA, Alzahrani AS, Akhtar M, Assiri AM, Meyer BF, Shi Y, Lab Invest. 2015 Jul 6. doi: 10.1038/labinvest.2015.90. [Epub ahead of print]
- Role of DCAF17 in Spermatogenesis “A Knockout Mouse Model”, a Potential Model for Globozoospermia. Abdullah Assiri, Asmaa Ali, Hala Ahmed, Bhavesh Mistry, and Fowzan Alkuraya, European School for Advanced Mouse Phenogenomics (Phenomin), Château du Liebfrauenberg, June 08-12, 2015, Alsace, France (Poster).
- LPS Ligation of TLR4 on Alveolar Macrophages Promotes PMN and CDR+ T Cell Transendothelial Migration. Saba Al Heialy, Abdul Ahad Shaikh, Abdullah Mohamed Assiri, Tau Rui, Moni Nader, and Peter Kvietys, Experimental Biology Meeting, March 28-April 1, 2015, Boston, USA (Poster).
- Control of histone H3 phosphorylation by CaMKIIδ in response to haemodynamic cardiac stress. Awad S, Al-Haffar KM, Marashly Q, Quijada P, Kunhi M, Al-Yacoub N, Wade FS, Mohammed SF, Al-Dayel F, Sutherland G, Assiri A, Sussman M, Bers D, Al-Habeeb W, Poizat C. J Pathol. 2015 Mar;235(4):606-18. doi: 10.1002/path.4489.
- Targeted complement inhibition and microvasculature in transplants: A therapeutic perspective. Khan MA, Hsu JL, Assiri AM, Broering DC. Clin Exp Immunol. 2015 Sep 25. doi: 10.1111/cei.12713. [Epub ahead of print]
- Complement mediators: key regulators of airway tissue remodeling in asthma. Khan MA, Assiri AM, Broering DC. J Transl Med. 2015 Aug 20;13:272. doi: 10.1186/s12967-015-0565-2.
- Complement and macrophage crosstalk during process of angiogenesis in tumor progression. Khan MA, Assiri AM, Broering DC, J Biomed Sci. 2015 Jul 22;22(1):58. doi: 10.1186/s12929-015-0151-1
- Deletion of low molecular weight protein tyrosine phosphatase (Acp1) protects against stress-induced cardiomyopathy. Wade F, Quijada P, Al-Haffar KM, Awad SM, Kunhi M, Toko H, Marashly Q, Belhaj K, Zahid E, Al-Mohanna F, Stanford SM, Alvarez R, Liu Y, Colak D, Jordan MC, Roos KP, Assiri A, Al-Habeeb W, Sussman M, Bottini N, Poizat C. J Pathol. 2015 Jul 25. doi: 10.1002/path.4594.
- A Novel Rat Model of Liver Regeneration: Possible Role of Cytokine Induced Neutrophil Chemoattractant-1 in Augmented Liver Regeneration. Dipok Kumar Dhar, Goran Mohammad Hamid, Soumil Viyas, Dieter Clemens Broering, Massimo Malago. Ann Surg Innov Res. 2015 Nov 2;9:11.
- Anti-inflammatory pre-treatment to reduce mobilization-induced liver inflammation in mice: novel model to study liver injury.Hendrikx Tim Sverdlov R, Dipok Dhar, Mpabanzi L, Piersma, Céline, Olde Damink Steven. Modern Research in Inflammation (accepted). 24 Jul 2015
- Amyloid persistence in decellularized liver: biochemical and histo-pathological characterization. Mangione Patrizia, Mazza Giuseppe, Simons Paul, Al-Shawi Raya, Ellmerich Stephan, Taylor Graham, Gilbertson Janet, Dhar Dipok Kumar, Hawkins Philip, Pinzani Massimo, Bellotti Vittorio. Amyloid (accepted). 15 Oct 2015
- Ultrasonic Hepatotripsy for Cell Therapy: A novel approach to treatment of inherited liver disorders. Presented as Senior author in International Society for Therapeutic Ultrasound held in April 2015 in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Dipok Dhar (Poster)
- PLCz or PAWP: revisiting the putative mammalian sperm factor that triggers egg activation and embryogenesis. Junaid Kashir, Michail Nomikos, Karl Swann, and F. Anthony Lai, ِAccepted on February 23, 2015
- Functional disparity between human PAWP and PLCz in the generation of Ca21 oscillations for oocyte activation. MichailNomikos, Jessica R. Sanders, Junaid Kashir, Randa Sanusi, Luke Buntwal, Daniel Love, Peter Ashley, David Sanders, Paul Knaggs, Adnan Bunkheila, Karl Swann, and F. Anthony Lai, Accepted on June 19, 2015