Emergency Medicine is the medical specialty dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of unforeseen illness or injury. It includes the initial evaluation, diagnosis, treatment, and disposition of any patient requiring expeditious medical, surgical, or psychiatric care.
As part of KFSH (Gen. Org.), the Department of Emergency Medicine’s mission is to provide comprehensive, high quality, efficient, technically advanced “state of the art” emergency care to all patients. This is achieved through the following:
- Integration of timely, pre-hospital care, rapid triage, expeditious resuscitation and stabilization, and appropriate disposition of all patients.
- The provision of supportive and consultation services to patients referred from other departments of KFSH as well as for patients referred from other hospitals.
- Education of medical students, residents, faculty and other health professionals in Emergency Medicine.
- Ongoing improvement in patient management, communication and health care delivery.
- Research in Emergency Medicine.
- The establishment and enhancement of specialized courses dedicated to continuing professional education for staff in the field of emergency medicine, as well as developing clinical pathways for different emergencies.
- Life support courses and continuous medical education for the medical staff at KFSH&RC and other medical institutions.
The Department of Emergency Medicine is providing care for Acute, Cardiac, Respiratory, Neurological, Infectious and Gynecological Emergencies in tertiary care setting requiring immediate attention in both Adult and Pediatric age groups. We are also level 2 Trauma Centre for acutely injured or poisoned patients. DEM has a fast track area for rapid turnover and for low acuity patients, core area equipped for Cardiovascular Monitoring and Resuscitation and Twenty-Four (24 H) observation area for the patients requiring short stay or intermediate care.
- DEM Expansion
- 24 HRS Admission Unit
- Fast Track Area
- DEM In-patient pharmacy
- Departmental Quality Plan and Quality Indicators
- Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- Severe Sepsis/Septic Shock Protocols
- Jeddah Management Tab in Firstnet
- Electronic DEM consultation system
- Clinical pathways
- Canadian Triage Acuity Scoring system
- DEM Patient Satisfaction Tool
- Point-of-Care Testing in DEM
- Hospital & ED patient flow
- Lab Turn-Around-Time (TAT)
- Accredited Courses
- BED Alert
- DEM Mortality and Morbidity
- Firstnet Enhancement
- Venus Billing System and Oracle sub store
- Firstnet/ Care-net system