The Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology (ICHE) Department aims to:
- Implementation of strategies for the prevention and control infections.
- Develop and maintain infection control policies and procedures overall the hospital.
- Provide appropriate continuing education for all healthcare workers in the field of infection control and environmental health.
- Integrate infection control surveillance data and reports into meaningful targets for performance improvement projects to reduce healthcare-associated infection.
Scope of Service:
Contribute to the delivery of the highest quality health care, by promoting safety and reducing the risk of acquiring and transmitting infections among patients, visitors, healthcare workers, and support staff at KFSHRC facilities and this is done through:
- Investigate and control hospital clusters or outbreaks of healthcare associated infections & resistant organisms among patients and healthcare workers
- Maintain a comprehensive data system to monitor, evaluate, and implement the necessary actions
- Monitor antimicrobial susceptibilities.
- Evaluate new products to be used to control infection throughout the hospital.
- Ensure compliance with national and international regulations.
- Ensure compliance with accrediting agency requirements.
- Provide required infection control related education and consultation to Hospital staff.
- Review and update infection control policies periodically in line with national & international regulations and guidelines.
- Prepare for an immediate response to any new communicable diseases that might occur affecting the Hospital
- Review construction and renovation plans and visit the sites to monitor compliance with infection control guidelines
- Provide data and statistical analysis for research and publications.
Adopting and practicing the scientific comprehensive method of measuring outcomes and related processes of care, analyzing the data, and providing information to members of the healthcare team to assist in improving those outcomes.
2- Hospital Epidemiology:
Collecting, analyzing and creating a detailed report, develop an action plan for potential health crises.
Investigate outbreaks and intervene to prevent healthcare- associated infections.
3- Environmental Health:
Promotes a safe and sanitary environment through the contribution and recommendations in construction, renovation and maintenance projects. In addition, ensuring a safe environment for the prevention of Health -care Associated Infections (HAIs).
4- Infection Control Education:
Promotes infection control and safe practices by managing, facilitating and evaluating infection control activities. Responsible for all educational-related activities and resources provided by ICHE as well as participates in research and performance improvement activities.